Principal Engineer, Cloud & SRE required by historic and well known financial services company to join their engineering team and be part of the Digital Platforms Extended Leadership Team to assist in the establishment and set up a Cloud Centre of Excellence who will be responsible for deploying the company’s applications to the cloud.
You will be a strong advocate and help support the delivery of their core platforms including:
- Migration to new data centres – a ‘hyper-converged’ private cloud
- Migration of applications to the public cloud
- The expansion of our next generation data analytics platform
- Renewal of payments system
- Development of a user-centric supervision system
You will also champion continuous delivery in software engineering through:
- The use of Agile delivery methods
- Dev/Ops practices, including embedding such practices within other Technology delivery domains
You will as act as a Technology Leader and support and manage a team of 5+ Senior Engineers
- Strong experience leading highly technical expert teams.
- Broad technical expertise spanning operating systems, programming languages, databases, networking and security.
- Deep expertise of Cloud technologies in public and private Cloud environments.
- Ability to develop partner relationships with in-house development teams to drive optimum performance.
- Experience of introducing new ways of working including agile adoption, fast feedback, partnering for innovation, and driving simplification and automation.
- Fluency in one or more programming and scripting languages, e.g. Python, Java, C# .Net, Go, Ruby, Bash
- Knowledge of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles and approach
- Good level of knowledge of:
- data centre networking
- Linux and Windows platforms across development and operations
- common databases, such as SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL
- desired state configuration management tools e.g. Ansible, or Puppet
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC) software, e.g. Vagrant and Terraform
- Automated build and deploy software, e.g. Jenkins, Teamcity and Ansible
- Virtualisation and container technologies, e.g. VMWare, Kubernetes and Docker
- Automated testing practices, e.g. Test Driven Development (TDD), Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) and Acceptance Test Driven Development
- Experience of leading digital transformation initiatives across a large diverse organisation